Monday, January 5, 2009

Update #2! My first day on the job!

I had my first day of work today. Travel logistics worked out just fine. I've learned that 9am really means sometime before 9:30, which is slightly frustrating because I like to be punctual, but allows me extra time in case the Metro is delayed for whatever reason. Speaking of the Metro, the ride went fine. Susie was right, it really is almost identical to BART. It's a 6/10 of a mile walk to the Georgia Avenue Metro station and from there I take the Metro to one of the Capitol stations (Capitol SW....I think). I made it with PLENTY of time this morning. I left around 7:50am and arrived at the Judiciary Committee office around quarter to 9 (which meant that I killed 15 minutes of time by exploring the surrounding areas of the building).

Everyone in the office is extremely friendly and fun to work with (at least so far). My work is typical interning work. I'm pretty sure I made more photocopies today than I have in my entire life. I spent nearly 2 and a half hours making copies after lunch. Intense(ly boring) stuff. It's fine though. Everyone seems a bit surprised with how willing I have been to do the most mundane tasks. But that's what I'm there for, so I figure I should try to be enthusiastic about it. I have already learned lots about the inner workings of the committee (and current plans that are going on). I'm not really allowed to talk about any of it (and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to know all of it), so I won't type it here. I'll just say that it's pretty juicy stuff.

I haven't met any members of the committee yet, but the new Congress gets sworn in tomorrow and I've been told I'll be introduced to the Chairman of the committee is Rep. Conyers (D-Michigan). I don't know if I'll get to meet anyone else who sits on the committee, but I think it would be fun.

I've started formualting stuff to do this weekend. I may go visit a couple museums or monuments. I'm not sure yet. I may also try to meet up with Elissa on Sunday, though I'll have to check to see if she's busy or not.

I had a wonderful first day. I'm really glad that everyone is so friendly. Apparently there are quite a few people from Oberlin who work on the Hill. Everytime someone finds out I go there they end up telling me that "so and so" went to Oberlin and now works in "this" office. There's a reception for Oberlin students (past and present) on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to meeting some of them.

So, basically, everything has been going wonderfully. Theo is warming up to me. His shyness now seems to be more of a game than anything else. The Fetter-Degges are awesome and I'm really glad that they're letting me stay with them. I just hope everything continues to go this well!

No comments:

Post a Comment