Monday, January 5, 2009

Two updates today!

I'm putting up two updates today. The first is something I wrote yesterday (Sunday), but was unable to post because of a lack of internet access. Here it is:

4 January 2009

Right now I’m typing this up into a word document because the internet is down. Once the internet is back up, however, I look forward to making this my first official update on my DC blog!

I have moved in with the Fetter-Degges family in DC: Jon and Jan and their 2-year-old son, Theo. They are a lovely family and Theo is adorable. I think that living them will be an enjoyable experience. Only time will tell, though. I have pretty sweet accommodations. I have my own room and some closet space and I have even been given space for groceries in the kitchen. Theo is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, and rye, so if I want any of those (which I will), I have to get them on my own. That shouldn’t be a problem though. Jon and Jan both went to Oberlin (class of 1993, I think). It has been fun chatting with them about the school and the campus and how some things never really change.

I start my first day of work tomorrow! The House Judiciary Committee office is not located in the capitol building, but in the Rayburn House Office Building (essentially across the street, unless I’m mistaken. I’ll figure it out for sure tomorrow). My dress code is pretty lax. Only jeans and a polo shirt or a button-down shirt when Congress isn’t in session or a vote isn’t scheduled. Otherwise, it’s formal business attire, which is what I was anticipating it would be all the time. I’m excited to see what I’ll actually be doing. Once I find out, I’ll be sure to let you all know.

I’m leaving plenty of time to navigate the Metro and find the correct office building tomorrow. It really shouldn’t be that bad, but I’m freakishly paranoid and would rather be safe than sorry. My work hours are 9-6 (blah), which means I’ll be there in PLENTY of time if I leave here around 7:45. It’s about six tenths of a mile to the metro station from the Fetter-Degges’ house, and I plan on walking. It shouldn’t be too bad. Jan recommended getting a smart pas so, if I feel like it, I can take the bus back from the station rather than walking every day. For now I plan on walking. It’ll be good for me.

The weather here has been slightly warmer than normal for this time of year. Low 40s today. It’s supposed to cool down and possibly rain sometime this week, so I’ll keep an eye out for that. I’m not too worried. DC’s winter isn’t as bad as Oberlin’s, or so I’ve been told.

I’ve already made a list of places I want to visit while I’m here. It’s quite long, so I’ll have to narrow it down. I do plan on doing some touristy activities while I’m here, though. It would be a missed opportunity if I didn’t. Plus I’ll need something to do on weekends! :P

My friend Elissa lives in Rockville, MD (not too far outside DC), so we plan on getting together at some point. I also found out that my friend Andrew is also here doing an internship with some governmental organization (I can’t remember which at the moment), so I may get together with him as well. If I find out that anyone else is here that I know, I’ll try to hang out with them, too.

For now I’m just excited about starting my internship. I do need to plan my trip home, soon. The Baltimore airport has cheap flights to Cleveland, so that’s probably what I’ll do. I could also take the train, but I don’t really think a 12-hour train ride is what I’ll want at the end of Winter Term. I’d rather just fly. It’s faster and I’ll get back to Oberlin sooner so I can get readjusted to life there. I won’t have much time between getting back and starting class, so I want to be back as quickly as possible.

I think that’s it for now. I don’t promise to update once I get back from work tomorrow, but I will write again at some point this week so everyone can know how things are working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment