Saturday, January 10, 2009

End of Week One!

So I've finished my first week (or so) in DC and on the job. So far I'm having an awesome time. My job has been, so far, mainly typical intern work, but with an extra flair of more important things mixed in as well. I finished archiving all the executive communications, petitions, memorials, and bills and amendments to pass through the House Judiciary Committee during the last Congress (2007 and 2008). So far everyone seems to be impressed with how efficiently I work, which is probably a good thing.

I met Congressman Conyers (the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee). He was very friendly and chatted with me for a bit and thanked me for coming to help out. Apparently he mentioned me to some of the staff the next day, so I'm thinking that's probably a good thing. Overall he's a very hands-on sort of person and I enjoy working for him and the committee. All of the staff in the office are absolutely amazing. They're friendly and helpful and create an awesome work atmosphere.

On Wednesday there was a reception on the Hill for all Oberlin interns and Oberlin almuni who currently work on the Hill. I ran into a few people I've had classes with, and set up lunch get-togethers with many of them. From what I can tell, I pretty much have the best internship. It may not look the most impressive, but I'm doing more interesting work than others. One girl from my German History class is interning for Speaker Pelosi, but all she does is spend her time sorting and reading mail and writing letters to constituents. I've actually been asked to read sections of a report the committee staff are working on and edit them. I read two chapters of it (about 100 pages) this week and edited them. I'm really enjoying the opportunities I'm getting.

My intern pass also gives me quite an extensive reach of where I can go in the Capitol Building. The other interns and I plan on going to explore at some point. I carry my camera with me all the time so if picture opportunities come up, I don't miss them. I plan on taking plenty of pictures while exploring the Capitol (and I'll post them on the blog for all of you to see!).

Next Tuesday I'm going to attempt to go to the Senate Committee Hearing on Senator Clinton's nomination to be Secretary of State. I hope I can get in! If I want to go to any hearings on the Houe side of things the office can make some phone calls to get me in, but for the Senate side things are a little trickier. I pretty much have to attend as a member of the public. I plan on getting there around 8:30am (the hearing starts at 9:30am) so I can go. It would be awesome.

Things are continuing to go extremely well with the Fetter-Degges family. Theo continues to be as adorable as ever and Jon and Jan and I enjoy chatting with each other. It's a pretty sweet deal, really. I'm glad it worked out so well.

Today I took the metro out to Rockville, MD and visited my friend from Oberlin, Elissa. She took me out to lunch with a couple of her friends from high school, I met her family, and we hung out for a while. It was a lot of fun and we made plans to go to the zoo and to meet after I get off work one night and go to dinner. It's sweet that she lives so close and that we can hang out. There are several other Obies in the area, so we're going to try to organize a big get-together. Whether or not it happens is questionable, but it's a nice thought.

I'm going to attempt to post some pictures (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/patrickindc/?albumview=slideshow). The pictures are of the House Judiciary Committee hearing room and conference room. The committee room is HUGE.

Anyway, I think that's all for now. I'll be sure to continue updating!

No comments:

Post a Comment